Sunday 21 April 2013

Turning over a new (lettuce) leaf

I've been having feelings of slight despair every time I look in the fridge. It's the same kind of feeling I get when I open my wardrobe. I will make a decent dish out of what's there/will be able to dress myself without causing looks of alarm from passers-by, but really I want to chuck everything out and start again. I could solve the wardrobe problem with a personal shopper, but does anyone offer a personal shopping service for fridges?

Thinks: The fridge PS could take into account your body shape and decide to stock you up with full-fat or low-fat yogurts; she could update your classics with a new spicy chorizo or a flavoured houmous; she could suggest accessorising with some coloured plastic storage boxes; or she could even lead you towards a whole new line of fridge magnets.

But then something magical happened; the sun came out. Now I can strip out all the dark coloured moth-eaten stuff and replace it with white linen, and throw away that old shrink-wrapped swede and buy salad leaves! I lost no time in making Salad Niçoise.

Close up of salad nicoise


Salad Niçoise with hot smoked salmon


1 egg per person, lightly hardboiled
lettuce
green beans, cooked
tomatoes
black olives
hot smoked salmon (I used a 150g pack for 2 people)
new potatoes

Cut the potatoes into smallish chunks and cook them in a pan of water with a pinch of salt. Add the eggs to the pan just as the water comes up to the boil and keep them there until the potatoes are done. Drain, and place the eggs into cold water for a few minutes, before peeling and quartering them. Meanwhile, assemble the salad by piling it all artfully on a large platter, finishing with the eggs and flaked salmon. I like to serve it undressed (it, not me) as it looks prettier that way (I don't). Serve with a dressing of your choice or this one:

Simple salad dressing


2 teaspoons runny honey
half a teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
6 tablespoons olive oil
a generous pinch of salt

Place everything in a screw-top jar and shake vigorously.

Salad nicoise on a platter

No comments:

Post a Comment